This is a sponsored post for SheSpeaks/Rubbermaid®.
The weather is getting nicer and we are spending more time outside! One of our favorite things to do on a nice weekend day is let the chickens out in the front yard while we have a little picnic. Rubbermaid has asked me to share a favorite meal idea with you guys, so for this picnic we made some yummy Chicken Tikka Masala with rice or cauliflower rice (for any of you that are not eating rice right now, cauliflower rice is delicious). This meal takes quite a bit of time, but it’s worth it. This might be the 5th time we’ve made this meal in the past year? I love leftovers and with this meal we usually have a couple more days of leftovers for my lunch or dinners. Yay! Want to know how we made it? The recipe we use is actually from Serious Eats and you can find the ingredients list and the link to the original recipe below, along with a few tips from my husband for how he cooks this recipe. PLUS: I’ve also shared a Mango Banana Ice Cream recipe for your desert and there’s a giveaway.
The ingredients needed for this Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe:
- 5 pounds bone-in chicken pieces (we actually used 12 skinless and boneless thighs)
- 3 tablespoons toasted ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons toasted paprika
- 2 tablespoon toasted ground coriander seed
- 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 cloves garlic, grated on the medium holes of a box grater, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated on the medium holes of a box grater, divided
- 2 cups yogurt
- 3/4 cup fresh juice from 4 to 6 lemons, divided
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, roughly mashed
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 1 cup heavy cream
- optional: rice or cauliflower rice
To get the full directions for this recipe head on over to Serious Eats.
Here are a couple of tips my husband has for the recipe: My husband prefers to use skinless and boneless thighs for the recipe. The original recipe calls for bone in chicken. He also like to barbecue the chicken on skewers for a little extra smokey flavor. If you don’t want to barbecue the original recipe tells you how to cook it under the broiler.
When it comes to marinating the meat my husband suggests putting the meat and sauce in a container that seals and most of the air can be squeezed out of it. These Rubbermaid BRILLIANCE containers are perfect for this, especially since they are leak proof and stain resistant food storage containers. This sauce will stain everything and these are the perfect meal prep containers!
After dinner we enjoyed some yummy Mango Banana “Ice Cream” and Peanut Butter Banana “Ice Cream” (with no refined sugars) for desert. I shared how to make the Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream here, but this is the first time I made this mango ice cream and the recipe is below.
Mango Banana “Ice Cream” Recipe:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 10 ounces frozen mango pieces
- about a 1/4 cup of cold water
- Cut the bananas into coins and place on a plate. Freeze the bananas for about 2 hours.
- Place the bananas into a food processor. Blend until all the bananas are smooth like soft serve ice cream. Add the mango pieces and blend until the mango is chopped up. You might need a little bit of water to make the ice cream a bit smoother, so slowly add a little water and blend until it looks like soft serve again.
- That’s it! You’re “ice cream” is done and ready to eat. If you freeze this ice cream again you will need to let it thaw out just a bit before serving so it’s softer. Make sure you store the banana ice cream in an airtight container, like the Rubbermaid container I used.
Do you like to have front yard picnics? I know our daughters love it. The best thing about doing a picnic in the front yard, instead of an open park, is we can close our gate and our 18 month old can’t escape out into the road.
Rubbermaid wants to share something fun with you! One lucky person can win a 10-piece set of Rubbermaid BRILLIANCE food storage containers! How do you win? I like to make it easy. Just answer the question below in the comments of this blog post. For an EXTRA entry head on over to my Instagram and enter there on my Chicken Tikka Masala IG post. This giveaway is open to U.S. residents only and ends on June 2nd, 2017.
Here’s your question: What is your favorite food to eat at a picnic?
P.S. This is a sponsored post for SheSpeaks/Rubbermaid® and I use affiliate links on my blog.