Update July 2019:
Back in 2011, I shared this Bacon Hearts Recipe with my readers for a budget Valentine’s Day idea, and everyone loved it. It’s been all over the internet and even featured in Ladies’ Home Journal (do you remember that magazine?). It’s been up on the blog for so long without any updates, so today I’ve decided to republish this recipe with updated tips and photos.
Tips for Baking that Bacon:
- The thing about this recipe is it needs a strip of thick and floppy bacon to work. If the bacon is too thin, it falls apart. If it’s thick but stiff, it will not bend into the heart shape.
- Be sure to keep an eye on your bacon while it’s baking. It can go from looking good to burnt in a short amount of time.
- If this is your first time making bacon hearts, maybe try baking a single piece as a trial run?
- A few readers have suggested using toothpicks to hold the heart shape together while baking. Soak the toothpicks in water before baking, so they don’t burn.
Bacon Hearts Recipe:
- Preheat your oven to 400.
- Cut the bacon slices in half.
- Using two pieces of the cut in half bacon, shape them into a heart on a sheet pan. Be sure the sheet pan has sides on it to keep the grease from dripping in the oven.
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes or until cooked. Keep an eye on the bacon hearts while they cook! They can easily burn.
- When your hearts are done baking, place them on a paper towel to catch the bacon grease.
- These hearts are delicious on eggs, toast, salads, and more!
Now that your bacon hearts are cooked serve them on a fancy plate or a pretty box and share with your loved one. To transform this into a treat, maybe think about dipping the bacon heart in chocolate?
Disclosure: I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website. There are affiliate links in this post. Thank you for your support.