DAY 7: Yeah, I know this is pretty much a no-brainer, but I think it helps to be reminded: Give Back to your community. This is a “DIY” that will probably take more time than making a nawhal necklace…. but, it’s worth it. I like to donate coats, clothes, or toys during the holiday season…. you can also donate your time. Here are some ideas for giving this holiday season:
– Donate to a food bank: We have the Oregon Food Bank here.
– Help feed seniors: We have the Loaves and Fishes. A program to help keep seniors independent. You can volunteer your time or donate money.
– Work with the Salvation Army: I’m not sure if other cities have this, but Portland has an “Adopt a Family” program. It’s pretty much as it sounds… you adopt a family for the holiday season. You pay for the family’s holiday dinner, plus a couple gifts for each family member. Large groups usually go in together for this.
– Volunteer at a soup kitchen: we have Portland Rescue Mission. They are also always in need of blankets.
– Help clean up your neighborhood: this is a favorite of mine, Friends of Trees. They events to clean up public natural areas and green spaces between freeways and neighborhoods.
– Donate a toy: Toys for Tots is a popular charity to go through.
– Donate coats: There’s always a drive to collect new and gently used coats. The big one in my area is the Sleep Country Foster Kid’s Coat Drive.
I hope I was able to inspire some ideas! Happy Wednesday!
If you’d like to keep up with all the 50 DIY day posts… they’ll be here: