The first of hopefully many successful crock pot adventures: the Cheesy Broccoli Crock Pot Recipe. I say it ALL the time: I don’t like to cook. I don’t like to experiment with food and I prefer that meals come with the least amount of effort possible. A few months ago my mom, knowing my distaste for cooking, bought us a crock pot. I’ve heard MANY stories about how easy it is to create a meal with this one tool. Toss it all in and you’re done.
Well, it took me a while to actually give it a try because my husband does the majority of the cooking, and I don’t want to. Well, the crock pot has been great! My first attempt was to make a different version of this recipe. You throw ALL the ingredients in at once. The result: mushy rice + broccoli. It was still very delicious (cause cheese), but I wanted to avoid the mush. My husband suggested cooking the rice and broccoli completely separate (or just plain baking the recipe), but that sounded like way more effort than I wanted to put into this meal. Ha! So, I made a few adjustments of when you put some of the ingredients into the crock pot (like the rice and broccoli), and it worked!
Cheesy Broccoli Crock Pot Recipe
- 2 lbs uncooked chicken breasts
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 16 oz. container of sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Place your chicken breasts, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper at the bottom of the crock pot. Cover the chicken with the broth (about 2/3 of the broth container).
- Cook the chicken on high for 2.5 or 3 hours. Watch the liquid level. If the liquid is too low before the chicken is cooked, add some more warm broth (not cold).
- When the chicken is cooked, pull the breasts out of the crock pot and shred with two forks. Put the chicken back into the crock pot.
- Add the rice and broccoli. Add more broth if needed (just so the rice and broccoli are covered). Cook for another hour, or until rice and broccoli are cooked.
- When the rice is cooked, add your sour cream and cheese. Cook till warmed.
Serve and enjoy!
P.S. the kiddo loved this! She ate the whole thing, veggies and all (again, cause covered in cheese).