Whenever I’m asked what I want for my birthday or Christmas or any gift giving time my answer is usually anything that will make my life easier, like a clean house. With a 4 month old baby it’s even harder to keep up with all the mess four people can make in this little home. So when I gave my mom the challenge to craft something with my kiddo to make a mothers day gift for me, she came up with something simple and perfect to help my 6-year-old keep the toys cleaned up and out of our living room.
They found a super cute metal basket, some acrylic letters to spell out “toys”, and paint at Michaels to make this project. The whole idea is to keep this basket in our living room and I can toss any toys that are sitting around ALL OVER the place into this basket. Then the big kiddo can take this basket in her room and put all that stuff away. It’s really quite amazing how fast a 6-year-old can drop toys wherever she is. This cute basket also came with a promise from my daughter that she will put those toys in the basket away. This is the best gift my kiddo can give me!
Supplies needed to make this mini toy basket DIY:
- Acrylic letters
- Gold paint
- Pink paint
- Washi tape
- Hot glue
- Optional: clear fishing wire
1) Paint a couple coats of the gold paint onto the back of each letter. Let those dry completely.
2) On the front of the letter use the washi tape to mark off a couple spots to paint some pink lines. Tips: I recommend peeling the tape off while the paint is wet (it’s less likely to peel the paint off).
3) Use some hot glue to attach the letters to the basket. To make the letters extra secure, tie some clear fishing wire around each letter.
4) Convince your kids to help keep the living room clean!
Do you have any tips for keeping your living spaces clear of kid clutter? If you don’t know where to begin for Mother’s Day gifts, you can always take a look at some of the fun projects on Michaels.com or the other 49 Makers’ ideas on The Glue String for to see how they personalized their crafts!
P.S. Michaels provided me with a store gift card to share this blog post with you. Michaels has everything you need to craft the perfect handmade gift that will make Mom’s day.