Tried it: Homemade mod podge

Hello sweet friends! Another Tried It post. In case you missed it before, my Tried It series is all about what actually works from Pinterest. And, hopefully I can add tips to make it better. So, this time I tried out homemade Mod Podge. What’s Mod Podge? Well, it’s a brand of glue that helps you decoupage. What’s decoupage? You’ll just have to google. Hee.

The recipe is simple… in fact, I don’t even know if I should call it a recipe…. Anyway…

Ingredients and supplies:

– White school glue (like Elmer’s… you know, the stuff that weird kid would drink in your first grade class).

– Water

– Jar with a lid

Directions:

– Add equal parts white school glue and water to your jar. Put the lid on the jar, and shake it! Shake it real good.

– You’re done! You have your own homemade Podge. And, it really does work.

My tips:

– This homemade podge is not waterproof. If you want it waterproof, you can spray it with with a sealant (especially if your craft will be coming into contact with moisture).

– If you want a thicker podge, add less water. Do a couple tests, maybe don’t add all the water right away.

Cost:

– Well, ok. I’m guessing I made close to 16 oz (I compared it to a mayo jar… ha). So, a 16 oz jar of Mod Podge is around $12. My jar was .70 cents (found while thrifting), the glue was $3.50, and the water was free. I saved about $7 – $8. It took no time, seriously.

This is definitely a great recipe to have. I tested it out to add pretty vintage paper to my Fridge Work Station chalkboard (see the photo below). If you need directions on how to use your podge, here’s a link.

– Chelsey

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: diy, tried it

24 comments

• me1976 on said:

I wonder if Wallpaper Glue will work as well. Mod Podge Reminds me of good old Paper Maché craft from the old days 🙂 Spray acryl Spray for protection. And tadaa..

• Janet on said:

How does this hold up in humid / wet environments? I believe Hodge Podge is waterproof or resistant but from my experience with white glue – it is not. Still awesome if your project is short-term (like a pinata) or you know it will never come in contact with moisture.

• The Paper Mama on said:

I would most definitely seal it. Mod Podge is mostly waterproof, but still needs a bit of sealing for heavy duty stuff. You're right, I think the homemade stuff is best for short term projects.

• Heidi on said:

I used this same mixture two years ago when I made an Angry Birds Pinata for my boys' birthday. works great but you have to make sure you allow enough time for it to dry completely

• Erika on said:

I. Love. Your. Tablecloth. Are you willing to share more info about it? Where you bought it or, if you made it, where you got the fabric? I'd be so grateful!

• The Paper Mama on said:

Thank you! I love it too. BUT, it's not a tablecloth. It's an old sheet. I see this print very often at the thrift shop. 🙂

• northern cottage on said:

yay – cool new (to me) recipe! plus your jar is stinkin CUTE!!

• mylovelyfrench on said:

Great idea ! thank you for the tip !

• Ariel on said:

Sweet! Although I don't think I could do it. I just love my podge. 🙂

• The Paper Mama on said:

Hee, I love mod podge too. I'll still use it for serious/big projects.

• naptimemomtog on said:

So cool and I really love your fridge work station! So cute!!

• Karen on said:

I'd consider reading this piece before using this mix for any big projects: http://www.modpodgerocksblog.com/2011/11/why-you-

It talks about why Mod Podge is superior and the damage you can do to furniture and projects if you're using this glue mix. Think about it- when I clean up dried glue at work, I add water and it reconstitutes the glue so it can be wiped up. Mod Podge doesn't do that! If you decoupage a table with water and glue, you're inviting damage, fading, discoloration, and a projects that may not actually work!

There's also this post from Pinstrocity about their attempts at DIY Mod Podge along with why it didn't work: http://pinstrosity.blogspot.com/2012/03/mod-podge

Check these pieces out and proceed with caution before using this mix! Just a heads up!

• The Paper Mama on said:

Thanks Karen. I agree with some of what they said. But, I don't always agree with Pintrosity. I think trying the podge on plastic will probably not be successful, but for small paper/wood projects it should work well. 🙂

• Tish on said:

Thanks for trying this out!! I've never worked with Modge podge but there have been times I wish I had some! Definitely going to try this and I love how you transformed your chalkboard!

• The Paper Mama on said:

Mod Podge is definitely awesome, but for simple crafts… this recipe works. 🙂

• April @RedDirtMama on said:

I was wondering if this worked! I've been torn over making this because while I'm lazy, I'm also incredibly cheap! HA! Looks like my cheapskate ways will win out! 🙂

• The Paper Mama on said:

Ha ha! Well, I'm super cheap too. I think next time I'll buy the dollar store white glue. 😉

• detrimentalbeauty on said:

Using the dollar store glue works fine BUT, i found it to be watery from the start. Just a heads up!

danielle @ detrimentalbeauty.com

• Sadie Dear on said:

Awesome! I should try this sometime: thinking of doing some crafty stuff for the holidays.

Leave a comment!