I’ve seen these flat iron curls all over the internets…. and I’ve really wanted to try them out on myself, but I could not figure them out. I don’t know why, I just couldn’t. When I was in New York last month, sweet Stephanie told me they are so easy and she could show me. So, she did. Stephanie said this is the ONLY way she heat curls her hair now, and it holds the curl all day (my hair didn’t last all day in the New York humidity, but her’s did).
On our last morning in New York, we recorded a little video of Steph curling her hair with the flat iron. I hope this video helps you, because it REALLY helped me. I can now figure this darn curl out. Hee. Here are some tips I have for you… that I’ve sort of learned trying this out for myself:
- I like to start the curls around the hair by my ear.
- In case you can’t really tell what’s happening in the video below, here’s how the curl works: close the flat iron on the strand of hair and twist ONE time away from your face, and slowly pull the flat iron down the strand.
- Brushing out the strands of hair BEFORE you curl helps. It can get a little tangled and hard to curl.
- The slower you move the flat iron down the strand of hair, the more curly the hair. Stephanie wanted just a little volume, so she moved a little faster.
- Twisting the strands after each curl isn’t necessary, but I think it helps the curl hold better.
- I always say this: My hair is so straight I need to spritz hair spray on the curled strands as I go, for a better hold.
FLAT IRON C/O José Eber
Thanks again to Stephanie for helping me figure this one out!