After about one million years I’ve finally finished Miss R’s teepee! Back in November I planned this whole teepee deal. And, because I
procrastinated like to plan…. it took me 4 months to do. Well, 4 months to start. Ha! The whole teepee project took about 3 hours. Not bad. And, I enjoyed the whole process!
I don’t have any exact instructions/measurements… but, I can share with you how I did it! If you know how to sew a straight line: you can do this!
- A large sheet. I think mine was king size. Found it while thrifting for $2.
- 4 poles/sticks. Mine are 54 inches high and were given to me for free.
- Rope/ribbon to tie the sticks together.
- Pretty ribbon.
- Sewing machine
(did you notice the total cost of this was $2? I had all the other materials already. Yeah!)
First, I gathered up the four sticks. Holding them standing straight I wrapped a couple rubber bands around them to hold the sticks in place. Then, I grabbed my rope and started tying the sticks together. Lots of knots and wrapping. I’m sure there’s some special way to do this…. but, I didn’t really look up instructions. Hee.
Once everything was all tied together I tested the teepee out. Made sure the sticks opened out to how wide I want them for Miss R’s teepee.
Next up, measure your sticks from the tied up section to the floor. Mine measured 45 inches. So, I folded my thrifted sheet to measure 45 inches exactly. I pinned that up and sewed a straight line.
Then, you’ll drape your sheet onto the poles and line it up so everything is covered and the fabric is where you will want it. You may notice there’s a little triangle flap on two sides. You’re going to fold those under and pin them.
Once you’ve sewn up the triangles, trim the excess fabric and fit your fabric over the poles again. So, my sheet had this really neat trim, that I had cut off, and wanted to use somewhere. I figured out where to put it, right in the opening to the tent. The doors. I pinned the trim on to the flaps, sewed them on…. and fit the fabric back onto the polls again.
To keep my fabric secure on the poles, I added grommets to the flaps, and around each poll. That way I was able to tie some pretty ribbon on to keep it all in place. AND, that’s it! You’re done! Really very simple. I just guess each time I sew. Seems to work out. (ha!).
You guys should know the best part about this thing: Ruari said she wanted to nap in it… so, I said yes. We set up blankets, books, horses, and dolls. I said good night and sat in my chair 10 feet away catching up on emails. She did NOT nap (what’s new these days), but she did sit/lay there for 2 glorious hours singing/chatting/giggling to herself. For those that may not understand: that is the most amazing thing on this planet! My 2-year-old toddler sat still and entertained herself for 2 hours straight. I’m still in awe.
When she was finally done… she peaked her head out and said, “Mama I’m all done. I’ve been sleeping all day! In my dog house!” Silly.
I hope you all enjoyed!