Paper Terrarium Tutorial

This weekend my husband announced, “We cannot go anywhere this weekend. Because football.” SO, that meant I had some time to get some crafting done (because… I don’t watch football. Unless it’s the Superbowl). I’ve been wanting and thinking of creating a terrarium for some time. BUT, I’m not too sure I’d be able to keep a live terrarium… alive. Heh. So, I introduce to you: the Paper Terrarium. It does not require anything alive… AND, the items needed are inexpensive. Yay!!!!

What you need:

• A glass container. I found mine CHEAP at a thrift store.
  • Moss. I got mine at a craft store. The bag filled 2 terrariums.
  • Floral foam. Just a small amount will do.
  • Tooth picks.
  • Hot glue.
  • Scissors.
  • String.
  • A couple of tiny twigs.
  • My Doe A Deer freebie printout.

What to do:

1. First place your foam in your glass container.
  2. Then you can start forming your moss around the foam. I made sure to cover any foam spot that may show through the glass.
  3. Next, cut out all the paper pieces you’d like for your terrarium. I’ve included a couple of different sizes of deer and mushrooms for you to choose from. After they’re cut out you can hot glue the tooth picks to the backs of the cutouts. Glue your banner triangles to the string. Tie that string to the twigs!
  4. Arrange your paper pieces exactly how you’d like! And, you’re done!
  5. I made 2 terrariums and the rough total cost of each one is about $5. Woo hoo!

I had originally came up with this idea because my good friend Christina is getting married this summer, and she was looking for a way to create a terrarium for cheap. AND, I think I’ve found it. Another little idea I had for this is to add a little photo to the mix for a wedding center piece! Very cute… having different photos in each terrarium? Love it.

Freebie printout (click on the image below, right-click, and save):

I hope you guys enjoy!

Pin It

31 Responses to “Paper Terrarium Tutorial”

1. [...] so fresh – and it’s just an old lantern style light from the 80s turned upside-down - The Paper Mama is a genius! Those are so easy to find at thrift stores – I know I will be on the lookout [...]

2. Amy says:

this is awesome! thanks!

3. Katie says:

I made one last night using a jelly jar and it turned out SO VERY CUTE!! Thanks for posting. I can't wait to make some more. I think they'll make great gifts for co workers and family members, too! :-)

4. [...] was reading this post from The Paper Mama where she made the most darling of all terrariums and shared a free printable [...]

5. Gabriel says:

DUDE! we are soulmates, this is the coolest shit ever.

6. shannonmarie says:

That's so cute. I think my mom used to make something like that. I'll have to do one with my kids.

7. Laura says:

Super cute! I love it!

8. Heather says:

my head literally just exploded. my laptop is super gross and messy.

9. I have two live terrariums, but I suck at keeping them alive. I always over water and they get bugs and die. Lucky, my dad runs a greenhouse so I just get new plants every few months. Heh!

This is so cute. I think I'm going to do it in my boys bedrooms!

10. I LOVE this!!! Got to find a cute glass bowl to use!

11. catie says:

cute! cute! cute!
    i always make live terrariums too wet or too dry, so this is perfect.
    and the idea of wedding place settings with photos is so wonderful.
    they could be place settings AND favors to treasure.

12. Tammy says:

Very cute! I think I will bookmark this for a rainy day project! :)

13. lindsay says:

So cute :) I got into making terrariums a few years ago, but haven't made one since. I love them. Thanks for the freebie printout! AWESOME :)

14. melissa rohr says:

shut up! this is the cutest thing ever – i have exactly the thing to do it in too that is just empty and boring on my fireplace. another reason you're my hero ;)

15. Holy adorable. I know just where I am going to put mine!

16. adorable! This would be fun for me and my girls to make together. :-)

17. Rae Veda says:

This is the cuter thing I have ever seen!! I need this in my apartment. xo, rv

18. angie says:

Cute idea. I've been looking to do some myself, but keeping them alive has scared me, too.

And, oh.. football yes, I understand how that goes. But I don't mind. Were from Baltimore so we are thrilled to have our Ravens still in it!