Hair Tutorial: No Heat Curl headband tutorial

no heat curl, headband, tutorial, video, how to
So, my hair is SUPER stick straight. It hates holding a curl… hates it. So, I didn’t think this no heat curl headband thing would actually work… WELL: it did. BUT, with my hair it only lasted for about 3 hours. I only used hair spray… so, maybe if I put some product in my hair before-hand it will last longer? Hmm… Even though this curl didn’t hold all day like I had hoped… it does give my flat hair a ton of volume! Sweet! Perfect for those summer updo’s! I’ll be doing this more often for sure!
I love the No Heat Curl!

In case you’re curious… here’s what my hair looks like naturally (well… it seems a little more fluffy in this photo since I just had a shower. :D). Super duper straight. Always.

Have you tried this? They have: Born of the Sea, 3 Men and a Mommy, Beautiful Blendings, Sweet Days with Elle and Mia, The Bear Naked Truth, The Peanut Gallery, Beaktweets, A Little King and I, IROCKSOWHAT, Velveteen, The Urban Cowgirl, Chic Homeschool Mama, Paper Clippings of a Wandering Artist, Urban Country Girl, MD School Mrs., and…

Pin It

- Chelsey

This post is brought to you by,

Day 27 of my 50 DIY Days of Christmas: 2013 Holiday Gift Guide // thepapermama.com

336 Responses to “Hair Tutorial: No Heat Curl headband tutorial”

1. Dayna says:

Looks like a great idea and very easy to do as well. My suggestion would be to do this while your hair is still wet from the shower and to use some sort of styling product specifically designed for adding/holding curl so that it will hold once it is dry and not frizz out. There are many products on the market such as Aveda's "be curly style-prep" or a cheaper alternative is Garnier Fructis "wonder waves". Both of these products are used on wet hair and work wonders for straight hair providing a wonderful curl when dry. There are many more of these types of products on the market, you just have to find the one that works the best for your type of hair. Just an idea for those of you struggling with straight hair and wanting to some flair to your hair! Give this method a try with wet hair and ta good curl enhancing styling product and I think you will have wonderful results. Good luck in your hair styling adventures!

2. kristinclaire says:

I really hope this works! I used a Topsy Tail to quickly tuck the pieces into the headband, and I also used a wider, mesh headband to see what the results would be. My hair is SO defiant, so I'm crossing all of my fingers and toes that something will come of it, and I wonder if I should spray it while it's in the headband…Thanks so much for this, even if it doesn't work on my hair, it looks fab on yours!

3. Steph says:

I am a stay at home mom (no excuses…i know)……and my hair looks like crap most of the time. I ALWAYS have it in a ponytail. It takes 30 minutes to blow dry my hair cause i have so much of it. It is think, and frizzy, wavy. When I do fix my hair by blow drying and then straightening or curling, my hair is beautiful…but that takes an hour to do…..SO……I am going to buy frizz-ease….and maybe a holding gel and i am going to try this. I might try the double headbands since i have so much hair. I might even try this with my 5 year old daughter. Excited!

4. Meradith says:

I am SO jealous of your straight hair!! My hair is naturally curly but not like nice curly where I can just wake up and look nice (my sisters is like that) mine is more curls-100-different ways and mostly just looks puffy and gross so I am going to try this to see if it would make my natural curls look nicer! When I want to look nice I flat iron my hair but it takes 1+ hours so workday mornings it is a no-go which means my hair is usually up in a boring ponytail.

5. Abby says:

Could you do his then blow dry your hair? Would it still look the same?

6. Emily says:

Working on it right now! Praying that it works! :)

7. Sarah Jordan says:

What a great idea! can't wait to try this on my half wavy hair. By the way are you twisting your hair before you tuck it in or just tucking it in? it's hard to tell in the video.

8. Debb says:

Ever get gum stuck in your hair as a child? Trying this was EXACTLY like that. I had a huge tangle in the back and had to cut the headband off and some of my hair off. :-( What went wrong!?

9. Esta says:

You are my new hero. I have super straight hair and I have been so frustrated with the lack of volume so much that I was considering PERMING my hair for some waves/curls. I used to use a flat iron but it killed my hair. This is such a great option to plaiting it too because there is a limit to what leaving my hair in plaits could do!

10. Aanie says:

Hi Chelsey!!

Thanks so much for sharing this video and post! I love it so much that I shared this post on my own blog today!!!

Thanks again for taking the time to make it!

Aanie x

11. Megan says:

I found this on Pinterest, and I LOVE it. You have totally changed my hair career, since I'm a terrible girl and can't figure out a curling iron for the life of me. Watched your video, and tried it that night. PERFECT curls the next morning, and it's not uncomfortable to sleep on at all. I've gotten so many compliments, and I've pointed them all straight here. :)

12. lindsay says:

Does the headband leave a line in your hair the next day?

13. Sammi says:

I totally want to try this!! The only question I have is if you have to buy a certain head band or can we just use any type of head band?

14. LizzieD says:

You look so cute! I have curly hair, but I want to try this; I think it'll loosen the curls. Also, I love your highlights… is it OK to share where you get them done? Thank you!

15. Lakeisha says:

A good no heat curl is to put your hair pony tail then turn it into a bun on top of your head and then spray where the ponytail holder is and also spray the back of hair, the sides and the front. I also spray the ponytail while its twisted up in the bun. It may seem like a lot of hair spray, but I only use a couple of spritz's. When I take it down a couple of hours later l have sexy volumnist hair that's wavy and gorgeous and lasts for a while. The hair spray I use and have been using for some years now is Michael Dicesare Liquifixx Liquid mousse. It doesn't harden the hair or leave it sticky. Crap I just realized I don't have anymore so now I have to order it from Amazon.

16. Hannah says:

I have the exact same type of hair as you! Super fine, long, and goes super slick and straight all on its own. I just brush it while blow drying and it goes pin straight, and everyone always goes "omigawd, did you straighten your hair?!" and they're always stupefied when I say no, it just goes like that. It hates to hold a curl so I usually just go for air-drying which makes it go a little bit wavy… but truth be told it's hardly ever down because I never know what to do with it. This is perfect for me, I hate messing around with my hair too much, I just want to wash and go but that's impossible with long hair. Totally trying this tonight! Thank you so much for sharing (and for free!)

17. jordan says:

last time i tried this my hair looked really bad… i don't know what i did wrong but it was completely straight at the top and it
    had frizzy wave things at the bottom… i then decided it was bun day hah

18. Andrea says:

I LOVE this idea! but my hhair is really long! and only my bangs turned out curly! is there a way that i can make my whole head curly!? cuz i love the look! but i want it all over :)

19. Kim says:

OMG! I am going to have to try this! I have extremely long (down to my waist), thick hair. I dont like using hairdryers or irons. This look is amazing! Thanks for the tip.

20. Tia says:

This works sooo well for my long & straight hair. I admit I am not the most amazing person with a curling iron but I found that this works every time. I recently tried this with barely damp hair and a blow dried it for about 5 minutes and it worked wonderfully! It's nice to be able to curl my hair without having to hold a curling iron to my head for an hour. Thank you!!

21. [...] in than rush around trying to get ready. If I know tomorrow’s going to be one of those days, I can always count on no-heat curls to do the trick. Just wrap damp hair around a headband, sleep on it, and remove. Voila! Perfect [...]

22. Eve says:

Awesome! I need to try this immediately! Oh fun! Thank you a lot for sharing.

23. Vivian says:

I have a question, should I do it right after a shower? So my hair is damp. Or do it dry?

24. [...] when this new-fangled (that is actually pretty old-fangled by now, I’m sure) method of no heat curling came along. I wanted to try it. And only now did I have a headband to do the job. Who knew Sweaty [...]

25. [...] I followed the instructions, put the headband around my hair and began to gather sections of hair, tucking them in and around the headband. My husband thought I was harnessing my inner Greek goddess. I wore it that way throughout the day, until it was dry. Just before we were getting ready to go out for a dinner date, I let my tendrils loose. (For full directions, click HERE.) [...]

26. Lynn says:

Holy crap, my hair has never held a curl without 3 hours and an entire can of aqua net until today. It’s freaking amazing. Thank you!

27. Heather says:

Saw this on pinterest and decided to try it out. My hair is also pin straight, hates to hold a curl and is WAY damaged!! I do this with damp hair, clean hair and use no product other than my conditionig oils. When i take my sparkley headband off in the morning i have full out tight defined curls. They calm down after a few hours. If one spit is too curled i will spray a bit of water and loosen the curl up with my fingers. I usually spray s bit of surf spray at my root to give it some texture and put a glossyibg product at the ends. I use no hairspray.
    This works so well in my fine stubborn hair, it can last upwards of 3 days! Abd thats right, NO hairspray at all.
    When i go to bed at night i pile all my hair on the top of my head in a loose bun. I miggt need to touch up 2-3 strands with my curling wand, but thats about it!
    This has allowed me to have fabulous hair everyday :)

28. Jenna says:

Where did you get the headband from?

29. Hana says:

I tried putting a small amount of hairspray b4 and after I twisted my hair into the head band and i used larger portions of my hair and it worked great!(: (oh! And i also put a good amount of no frizz serum in my hair while it was damp b4 i put it in the head band) (:

30. Bri says:

Love this idea!
    I actually have thick curly (wavy after brushing while wet) hair that tends to hold curls really well. What if you did this right after showering so the top was dry but the rest was still damp? I know in high school I would sleep with about 20 little braids in my hair after showering to get an amazing no-heat crimped look that lasted days!

31. [...] from thepapermama.com posted about a way to get curly hair without heat. Basically, you put your hair in a headband, sleep in it, and you’ll have curls the next [...]

32. Kirsty says:

LOVE this idea! Super stupid question though (as I’m completely hair illiterate), do you wash it right before doing this or wash the day before and just wet it in the shower? My hair tends to get heavy and slightly oily the next day after a shampoo but can rarely wash right before styling as it just goes soft and falls out. Thank-you so much, your hair is beautiful!

33. Lexielou says:

This is a great idea.. Can't wait to try it :)

34. [...] the back of your head and run out of headwrap. If my ramblings have confused you there is also a video for you to refer [...]

35. Madi W. says:

Thank you for an amazing tutorial :) I have done this many many nights and I like my hair like this waaaaay more than when I curl it!

-Madi http://www.acreativeadventure.blogspot.com

36. than says:

you speak sooooo slowly on your videos!, but nice tip

37. Blondie, Esq. says:

Thanks for such a cute video! I tried this yesterday (with morning blow dried hair) and I woke up with bouncy waves! Love it. :)

38. [...] hen sweater, which you can read about here).  Oh, and I tried the no-heat curl method I read about here.  I blow dried my hair yesterday morning instead of washing it at night, but I’m thrilled [...]

39. Christina says:

I'm doing this right now! I have thick, dry damaged hair. And lots of it! Ombré natural hair color which is dark brown fading to bleach blonde. I have this works!!!

40. Taytumn says:

just put my hair up hope it works super excited to see how it turns out in the morning!!! :) fingers are crossed

41. Sway says:

Wow!! I just found this post and am dying to try it out! I've dyed my hair ombre and I pastel dye the ends, so anything no heat is my favourite option right now – poor tortured locks!
    Thanks so much for doing your own vid and saving us all the $$!
    Luvluv,
    Sway x

42. Laurin says:

Trying this tonight on my short hair.. lets see how it works!! Thank you sooo much <3

43. Catalina says:

Tried it 3 or 4 times already and i am very impressed with the results. I can say I am starting to love curly hair :)) thanks!

44. [...] ^^ (c’est une colo maison, Perfect Mousse de Schwarzkopf en Noisette). J’ai utilisé la technique du headband pour les boucler, je trouve que ça fait de très belles [...]

45. [...] No Heat Curly Hair Early Christmas present to all of our loyal fans for since 2001. [...]

46. Jordan says:

I love this, I already tried it tonight!!!

47. [...] you are at all like me, you’ve probably seen this “no heat curl” tutorial popping up all over Pinterest lately.   Having recently chopped my hair off, I [...]

48. [...] Have you heard of the no-heart curl technique?  Here’s a tutorial. [...]

49. Jodie says:

I am going to try this. My hair is thick, long, and wavy but will NOT hold a curl. My hair always looks so messy when its natural.
    I can't brush it or it frizzes up and I end up straightening it. Thanks!

50. Elizabeth says:

I’m kind of dumb when it comes to hair, I never do anything with mine because I don’t know how to :/ So this may be a dumb question but how exactly do you put it in the headband? My hair is naturally curly so do you do it when your hair is wet?

51. Aarti says:

it is really awesome…… it’s the best way to curl the hairs without making any harm to hairs by using chemicals or any heat tool.. i like curls… tonight i m going to do this definitely… thank u so much for this lovely idea.

52. [...] no-heat curls tutorial from The Paper Mama. I’ve tried this one and absolutely love it. All you need is an elastic [...]

53. Kayteigh says:

this has literally saved my life!! i used to wear my hair in a ponytail EVERY DAY. then one lovely day i stumbled onto your site and the first thing i tried was the no heat curls. I happen to have the most stubborn hair know to man, (every time i use heat to curl my hair, it takes a few layers of hairspray to stay for an hour!) and this is the only way my blatantly flat hair will stay! so THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH CHELSEY!!!! i love this site and please please please keep doing this!!

54. Ashley says:

This is amazing! I did it last night, and got so many compliments at work today! BTW I love your blog! You bring out the inner blogger in me!

55. Rene says:

I have super thick and wavy hair, and I’ve been looking for a way to have nice curls for a long time! Curling my hair with a curling iron is so difficult and never turns out the way I want since my hair is sooo thick. I’m gunna try this tonight though, I hope it works! It looks adorable on you! :3

56. [...] I KNOW I can do. I can’t. I thought I was going to have to cut my hair when I tried “No Heat Curls” as my hair knotted around the headband and wouldn’t let [...]

57. Amelia says:

I absoultely love the pictures! But, I still don’t know how she does ti with the head band. I’ve always been looking for stuff do to this. Somebody… please tell me as simple as possible!?

58. Stephenie says:

I love this!!! my hair is exactly like yours..and i hate how long it takes to curl it because i have to go over it like 20 times.lol so thank you sooo soo much!! definitely doing this tonight!

59. Amber says:

So I tried this last night and the headband came off some time in the night. It was curly in front but not in a cute way like yours, it was basically a mess and straight in the back. I feel like I always try these little tip things and they never, ever turn out right. :(

60. [...] in February, I tried curling my hair with this method that I found on Pinterest.  Why yes, I am wearing penguin print pajamas.  They’re super [...]

61. Maura says:

Did this last night with wet hair out of the shower. Woke up today and have a VERY full head of curls! Very cool! Thanks:) My hair is naturally a uneven wavy mess- now I wish there was such an easy way to no heat straighten it!

62. michelle says:

I have thick curly hair any suggestions so it doesn’t just frizz?

63. MissMookus says:

Thanks for sharing – im actually doing this as a daytime style so that my hair will be curly this evening. I've got short bangs, so you don't even see the headband. Its a cute style and a nice change from my usual French braid on hot days.

64. [...] hittade på en nätsida hur man kunde locka håret utan att använda någon slags värmekälla (http://thepapermama.com/2011/07/hair-tutorial-no-heat-curl-html.html). Fast jag hade inte hårbandet i över natten, men ändå hann det locka sig lite grann. Väldigt [...]

65. Thanks for your amazing video! I make my curls quite often pins with wet hair for a night. Works, but sleeping doesn't feel too
    good.
    Your way feels much better. Thanks and have a nice spring!

66. AMY says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS.. im trying this TONIGHT!!

67. Jordann says:

OMG! I LOOOVE this!! I’ve seen this somewhere else, but her instructions were so confusing to understand! Thanks for sharing this– I’m definitely going to try this tonight !! :)

68. [...] save you some time I just used this tutorial from paper mama for the no heat headband [...]

69. [...] headband curl tutorials out there that I’m not going to flood the Internet with another. Check out this one and then read my helpful hints [...]

70. Teresa says:

This works SO well. I start winding from the back to the sides and end with twisting across the forward. This creates great curls in back, too. Thank you for this great idea! My girls thank you, too, since they no longer have to sleep with uncomfortable curlers.

71. [...] keeping with the no heat techniques i tried the paper mama‘s headband tutorial next. again, i unfortunately [...]

72. [...] über Nacht verlieren, aber ausprobieren wollte ich es mal. Ich darf berichten: Es funktioniert. Hier gibt es die ausführliche Anleitung. Ich mag die Frisur, die eigentlich nur zum Lockig-machen dient [...]

73. Catalina Gómez says:

I tried this last night and loved the results!

works great with my hair!!!!

Thanks a lot for the tutorial!

74. Alexis says:

Trying it as we speak!! Thanks for the video this is such a great idea :D

75. Mallory says:

I tell you what, this process is going to save my hair! I’m a hairstylist and I’ve been torturing my fine, over processed hair for years now, just to make this same natural-looking wave on my stick straight limp hair. Not only is this easier, but I find that I can actually wear my hair wrapped one day, and take it out for the next. If you wear a cute headband, it really works! It kind of looks like a type of barrel curl or pin curl when wrapped and with the right outfit and neckline, its really great! I’m a mommy of an 11-month-old, and 3 year old. This saves me hours of stressful prep time for work and I have more time with my kids…you are my hero! haha :) seriously, thank you so much for posting this!

76. Yani says:

I have shoulder length wavy/frizzy hair, I hate having to iron it all the time for it to look nice. Ive been wanting to wear it natural but with my legnth it looks awkward. UNTIL I SAW THIS……I tried it last night woke up and lets just say im never using curling iron again! <3 thank you

77. fressa says:

she doesnt tell you have to actually do the hair til 2.47

78. Loreta Erickson says:

LOVE!!! I'll probably never curl my hair again with a straight iron or hot rollers.

79. Angela says:

With the last center section that you pinned up, rather than just wrapping once and then pinning, could you instead wrap it around the headband several times?

• I've done it both of these ways. I guess it just depends on what you like best. For me my hair is so slick that when I try and wrap it around and around…. other hairs fall out. :)

• Angela says:

Just tried it! I wasn't sure how to do it with two headbands as some have suggested for thick hair. I ended up wrapping all the sections around several times and overlapping A LOT. It looks okay (cute, even!) but I'm going to get a thicker headband for future tries. My skinny band is pretty weighed down. We'll see how the curls turn out but so far, so good. If this really works, I'm going to be ecstatic! I never do anything to my hair and this is so easy even I can do it!

80. Ri says:

I have very thick, layered, wavy, dry waist length hair… Would this work for me?

81. Brooke says:

I have VERY straight thick hair, and I wanted to experiment with this. I tried it two nights in a row, the first time my hair was damp and the second time my hair was dry. It seemed to work in the front but the back had volume but no real curl. I was going to try to put some gel or hair spray in but my hair is also oily and that would just make it oiler. Any suggestions? Thanks.

82. Lacie says:

It didn't work on my hair. It just went frizzy but Plus a sleep kinda crazy and when I woke up the sides were flat and not rounded

83. Kelly says:

Try shaping it (wrapping it around the band) while your hair is wet. The bonds in your hair come apart when wet, and "glue together" as they dry. It should last MUCH longer if you style it wet and let it dry as you sleep. (An exception to this is living in a humid climate. The bonds may re-separate and re-attach the way your hair naturally dries as you wear the style. Hairsprays and other curling agents sometimes help.) Hope this helps, all you straight-haired folks!

84. Shawna says:

I read a comment that said that you could do this while you hair is wet…. not unless you want to look like a poodle in the morning.
    I don't think I've ever gotten my hair straightener out so fast in my life. I am going to retry tonight with dry hair.

85. [...] here but learned from my neighbor Carrie long before I found it [...]

86. Alanna says:

So I have now tried this twice and each time the back of my hair will not curl. Any pointers?

87. [...] tutorial comes to us from Chelsey at The Paper Mama.  The tutorial shows us how to use a simple stretchy headband to put curls in your hair over night.  It’s [...]

88. Katlynn says:

I tried this last night, and I haven’t taken it out yet, But my bangs are hanging out and they are SUPER curly. Thanks for the great idea!:)

89. Megan D says:

I love this! I recently changed my hair style and now I want to curl my hair all the time. I know that is terrible for your hair, plus I tend to hit snooze a billion times so I have about 10 minutes to get ready in the morning. Well since I do not blow dry my hair at night, I saw this and thought, “wow, perfect!” And it is. :) I had to curl a couple of the shorter, top pieces of my hair. As well as a few around my face, but the majority of the curls from this. Awesome tip!

90. Kailet says:

Hey! Thank you!! I have medium/long super thin/fine STRAIGHT hair- looks very similar to your’s actually. I am looking forward to trying this. However, I have one question- when you got to the end with the last piece what did you do? Did you twist or braid it and then pin with a bobby?

Thanks for the help!!

91. J:-D says:

I have for years formed rolls around my fingers as if they were pink foam rollers. Then pinned the rolls to my head with
    nothing in the middle of them but the pins. The rolls crush down at night, easy to sleep on with curls in the morn.
    No heat, minimal styling goop.

92. Beth Rose says:

I love this! Very simple and no heat damage! Wonderful. Thanks for the tutorial!

93. I just saw this on Pinterest and I'm so excited to try it!! My hair couldn't be more like yours, so it's great to see a video for curls that works on such straight, fine hair!

94. lulu says:

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this. My hair turned out amazing, EXACTLY the way I wanted it to look. Thank youuu!:)

95. Janina says:

I did this last night and now my hair is a little curly. Just the right amount of curl :D
    Thanks for the great idea!!
    All the best from Germany :)

96. [...] Hair Tutorial: No Heat Curl. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

97. Jules says:

I am like you! My hair is long and thick(lol) and HATES holding a curl. Firstly, it takes 45 minutes minimum to put a little curl in my hair, hour and a half for nice big perfect curls, and then they only last an hour to hour-45 minutes tops! After 2 1/2, my hair is perfectly straight again. Just not fair. Definitely going to try this! Thanks!

98. [...] natural beach wave or sexy natural curl. Follow this tutorial and get the look. Check it out at The Paper Mama. This is so creative and great for mom’s with no time in the morning for fussing with [...]

99. Kelly says:

had this pointed out to me by a friend on Pintrest and just had to say Thank You!!! for posting the video, I've always wanted curly hair, and I've tried everything, hot rollers, benders, sponge rollers, solar rollers, pin curls (this was by far the best before the no-heat curl) and even the sock bun (woke up with a killer headache from that one). I do it when my hair is damp and let it dry that way, it never turns out exactly the same way twice though that's ok with me, part of the fun of it. It lasts two days for me, and if I put mousse in my hair while it's wet the curls will last three days. I've been doing it every two days for about two weeks now. I'm recommending it to evveryone because not only does it work so well it's also the fastest thing I've ever done to get great curls.

100. Danny says:

Would this work when your hair is wet also?

101. Lisa says:

WoW! does this work! I have wavy hair but I did this last night on dry hair and have the most awesome big ringlets this morning! I just finger combed to separate & voila! Gorgeous hair…too bad it’s raining today.

102. Veronica says:

I’m super excited to try this! I have naturally curly hair that I want to make into loose waves. My normal process is straighten then wave, but I started doing the bobby pins while i sleep… This way looks 100x’s easier and that it’ll last longer! I cannot wait to try it out. Thank you for your video… and not charging $30 to view it.

103. Hanna says:

Absolutely GORGEOUS! Just curious, how long does it last?

• I think it will just depend on your hair type. Mine is super straight… so, if there's any moisture in there air… it doesn't really last longer than 6 hours. But, lots of hair spray helps and add's a few hours to the curl. :)

104. Mandy says:

Love the hairstyles!! Any chance you ran into a 1950′s Pan-Am inspired hair updo tutorial or could I request you to make one?

Recently fell in love with their updo hairstyles – http://pinterest.com/flaming/pan-am-updo-s/

105. Kristen G says:

Love this! Thanks so much :)

106. Laurel says:

I’m so excited to have found this.

I love the idea of no heat curls and I’ve been doing different variations of it before. Mostly by french braiding my hair when it’s wet and sleeping in it for more of a crimped look

and for special occasions I would use an the old fashion finger waves, with bobby pins. It took forever since I have long hair like yours. Though mine’s not dead straight. Anyways I’m really excited to try this out and see well it works.

107. Emily says:

My hair is super thick and hardly holds a curl. I tried this last night with hair that had only lightly been towel-dried. When I took it out in the morning, my hair was still somewhat wet (and yet, I still had curls!). I blow dried my hair for a few minutes, set the headband up for another hour, and took it out again.

BAM! Huge, pretty curls.

I’m doing it again tonight, but putting the headband up a little higher on my head than last night. (:

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

108. Brianna says:

i just did this to my hair, so excited to see how it turns out tomorrow morning! i have super thick hair and its naturally alittle wavy, normally i french braid my hair after i get out of the shower and when i take it out in the morning its really wavy, but i thought i would try this for some cute curls! thanks so much for the idea!

109. [...] SHOP.  that is one talented lady.  it should also be noted that she taught me how to create the NO HEAT CURLS – STAM – changed my life forever . [...]

110. Amanda Neves says:

Thank you so much for this post, like you I have very straight and fine hair that just doesn't like to hold a curl. Nice to see a hair tutorial that actually works for my hair type too! Will definitely be doing this often!

111. Samantha says:

How do you get it all curled into the headband? My hair is long and thick and straight, I want to try this tomorrow. But I’m confused as of how to start it and make it stay..

112. Amber says:

I tried this and the sock method this last week and this one worked far better for me. The sock one put weird kinks in my hair and I had the worst time sleeping. This one was completely comfy, cute enough for me not to be teased to death by the hubbs, and the curls lasted through the next day. i did add product to my hair when drying as well as left it a little wet when wrapping it

113. Kickshaws says:

Man, I wish I'd found this video BEFORE I cut my hair! Now I'm debating growing it out again…

114. Kristie says:

There is a product called After Party. It is made by Tigi, and is great for smoothing on hair after a blow out, or something like this.
    It tames fly away's, but is really light and won't weigh down your hair.

115. [...] last person to chat about hair, makeup, or fashion.  Thanks for Pinterest, I happened upon this no heat curls tutorial that I just had to try.  I’m lazy and I hate messing with my hair, so 10 minutes of work for [...]

116. Dawn says:

there is a hair tool called topsy turvy or something like that it might help for pulling the hair thru all the way down to the little end in the back if you can't find that then a hook from rug hooking

117. [...] guess what? It was super easy. And I’m going to show you how to do it. Or rather, this link: http://thepapermama.com/2011/07/hair-tutorial-no-heat-curl-html.html is going to show [...]

118. [...] catch is that you have to sleep in it or at least wear it for a few hours. Check out the tutorial. No Heat Curls By: The Paper [...]

119. [...] are times that we don’t think about music. Like when we are trying out a cool overnight no-heat curl technique perfect for straight haired ladies like ourselves. And then we text each other ridiculous pictures [...]

120. [...] This is my ultimate, favorite way to style my hair. No heat curls, the Paper Mama teaches you [...]

121. chelsea says:

i have like choppy bangs what do i do with them?

122. shannonmarie says:

Thanks for making a posting a free version of the video. I’ll have to try this. It even looks cute as a flapper-style up-do.

123. [...] Linking up to Steppin’ Out Saturdays, where other people probably went out and had a life! And in case anyone is curious about what no-heat curls are, see tutorial here. [...]

124. Liesl says:

Thank you so much for sharing this! I found your lovely blog after seeing this "No Heat Curl" idea linked via Pinterest on Blair's Wild & Precious blog and it lead me here…love it! I have stick straight, fine hair like yours, so, I'm going to give this a try! You are adorable!

Liesl :)

125. Jen says:

thank you very much for the link to the bracelets. I love them and totally getting one! :)

126. Elisa says:

totally going to try this – thanks for the video tutorial!

127. Antonia says:

My hair is super fine and just shoulder length. I am going to try this method, but I bet it will just frizz. Has anyone else tried it with super fine hair? Let me know how yours worked out. Thanks

• Hi! Yes, I have suuuuper fine hair. And, it's stick straight. Works well for me. :) But, my hair is very long. I have heard good things with people trying with short hair. If it fails, then you could just put it up. It gives me lots of volume. :)

128. Maddy says:

This looks awesome!! hopefully this will save me some time in the mornings(:

129. [...] For hair tutorial video check out The Paper Mama. [...]

130. [...] For hair tutorial video check out The Paper Mama. [...]

131. Steph says:

put my hair up last night and tool it down this morning and it looks amazing! my husband loves it. and its perfect for my new job today

132. Jen says:

Sock bun gives a better curl and it alot easier

133. Karlene says:

I don't know if anyone else has suggested it, but making a salt water spray is supposed to help keep waves in hair! It helps my already wavy hair stay.. wavier.

134. Jayme says:

Thanks for the info and video tutorial. Can’t wait to try this weekend when I don’t have to wear my hair in a bun (military so I wear it up every day). I have really long, thick, sorta wavy but won’t hold a curl hair. My mom used to do the sponge rollers on my wet hair and always worked well but took forever so can’t wait to try this much easier version…though I may have to try the double head-band as the top commenter did.

135. Christen says:

I did this last night will pretty good results! I have very long, very thick hair that is naturally wavy, but when I wear it wavy it gets incredibly tangled, so I am always looking for a better option.

The hair in the center back portion got tangled around the headband, and I ended up having to mess up a few sections just to ‘free’ the hair. I think that had to do with the fact that I had to wrap so many times to get all my hair around the headband! So I had to recurl 3-4 sections with a curling iron.

When I do it next time, I think I will divide my hair into a top and bottom sections and use two headbands. I will also make my own tied headbands from old tights (great idea to whoever mentioned it above!), that way I can just untie them to release the curls in the morning, and not have to worry about the tangling.

136. Hailey says:

Hi, I saw this and thought it was an awesome idea. I haven’t tried It yet but I have a question. I don’t have and gel or anything like that, but can someone please tell me some other ideas of what to put in my hair before/after to make it stay longer? Will just a bit of water work?

137. Morgan says:

I have unruly curly hair and I tried this last night – brilliant! Thanks for the tutorial!

Curly hair ladies, this works for us too.

138. Jen says:

oh one more thing, I love the bracelet you are wearing in the tutorial video, can you tell me what brand/where you purchased it? so cute!

139. Jen says:

Love this idea, and thank you for sharing the video tutorial. I am not sure if my hair is long enough yet, (currently have a bob cut) but I am in the process of trying to grow it out a little (I really really wish I could have long hair like yours but I just don’t think I can pull it off) and this will come in handy! I have super straight THIN hair so I need alllllll the body I can possibly get! TFS ! :)

140. Lindsey says:

I have a short bob cut…maybe two inches below my chin. I did this last night and man is my hair curly! Works great, even for us with short hair :-)

141. jessi says:

thanks for this tutorial! i did it last night and my hair looked awesome this morning. now i can look decent in the morning without much work, thanks so much!! :)

142. jen says:

I was wondering where to purchase the bands and if there is a certain one to buy.

143. Nicole says:

That’s really cool! My hair is very layered (the stylist butchered it and its not at all even in the back) and just at my shoulders but I’m a bit hesitant to try it until it grows out a bit more. Great idea though.. I have thick/straight hair. All the women in my family lucked out with finer hair, like yours. I normally have mine long but last summer I was tired of having to style it forever in the mornings and I ended up getting it chopped off. I used to spend 45 min curling it with styling gel and my curling iron and the curls fell out after 6 or so hours. I will do this once it grows out more. :)

144. Jenn says:

I have wavy hair naturally. A good way to keep the wave in your hair is to not brush it after you shower. Brushing it forces it to be straight. Maybe just comb with your hands. Also you get the best waves/curls without freshly cleaned hair. Try spritzing it wet the next day or two and restyling. Normally I shower and braid my hair at night for beach waves. I do it with my hair really wet. It completely dries by morning. I find it makes my hair waviest the wetter it is. It sometimes lasts until the next day if I sleep with it down.

145. Michelle says:

oh my goodness you are my hero! my hair is so so so straight and nothing can curl it. i tried this and it worked so well!! thanks so much for the video!!

146. Amanda says:

Tried it and it worked! Thank you!!! So easy! Hope you don’t mind I linked your vid to my blog.

Thanks again!

Amanda

147. [...] watched this video tutorial last night and had to try [...]

148. As a girl with terminally straight hair, I thank you. So does my husband because it no longer takes me 45 minutes to acheive this look with a curling iron and several burns and lots of swearing.

149. [...] look that I love and that I have actually tried is the no heat curl tutorial as featured by Chelsey of The Paper Mama. It adds soft waves and body to my long hair and it's [...]

150. Lindsay says:

love this and can’t wait to try it! maybe to help your curl last longer you could put a little scrunch gel in it before you twist it. my hair is kind of wavy but doesn’t do anything on it’s own so if I want to wear it curly I use Herbal Essence scrunch gel and it works great :)

151. Morgan says:

This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing and not charging me $30!! Can’t wait to try it!

152. bekah says:

does this work with short hair

153. Beth says:

I curled my hair this way almost every day this past week, and I love the simplicity of getting up in the morning! It’s funny, on a couple of the days, I left my hair up all day, and got SO many compliments! Then, I don’t know if it’s because I didn’t sleep in it or because my hair had had time to dry/not frizz before curling, the curls looked AMAZING when I took out the headband. I’m trying another headband day today.

Thanks so much for your post and video! :)

154. [...] no-heat curl hair tutorial has got me written all over it. I don’t know how well it’s going to work with my short [...]

155. Lisa G says:

Just to give you a little help, when I do no heat sock bun curls or set with braids, I start with dry hair and lightly mist with water, then tresumee curl activator, which is super cheap and available at drugstores. It works fantastically!! I’m definitely curious to try headband curls, I’ll use the curl activator with that as well. It’s light, you just need a misting, and it doesn’t flake or make your hair crispy, just hold the curls. Give it a go!

• Joy says:

Tried this last night and it worked like a charm!! I tried this with wet hair straight out of the shower and put in a small amount of Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel. Bobby pins held it up great in the back.

Thanks for posting, this is definitely the easiest, and most even, attempt at curling my hair I’ve had!

156. Emily says:

This was awesome! It’s way easier/better for my hair then blow drying like i would normally and the using a curling iron. Plus I like the curls I get way better and I never would of thought of using a headband! It’s so easy!!

157. lauren b says:

love the idea cant wait to try thanks!

158. Emily S. says:

Cute! I have much shorter hair than you but I'm going to try this out.

159. Melissa says:

Thank you for posting this video! I will be attempting it tonight! :)

160. Xina says:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us. I saw your photos of this post on Pinterest http://pinterest.com/pin/51791464434565182/?utm_s
    but couldn't figure out how it was done. I'm going to try it with my locs! Thanks again x

161. Nutmeg says:

This is my new favorite hair do. It is so easy and looks incredbile. I've tried it two ways and both turned out great. For a longer lasting curl, I added Garnier Nutrisse curly hair products while damp, rolled it and let it air dry the rest of the way. I also did the same as above with completely wet hair, rolled it and slept on it too. Both ways worked out well. Thank you for sharing this how to and video.

162. Kelley says:

Love this, trying it for the first time tonight. I I do havea a little tip though, grab a topsy turvy! Just put the point through the band, loop the hair through the hoop and pull. It is so easy! I borrowed my daughters and it works great! Especially getting the last strand in. Hope that helps!

163. Amber says:

Awesome! I just finished putting my hair up. My hair is straight and super thick. It took me a few tries to get all my hair up. Can’t wait to see how it comes out tomorrow morning. ^_^

164. M.Hawkins says:

what kind of shampoo do you use?? I have naturally straight hair as well but whenever i get out of the shower and blow dry, my hair is extremely frizzy!

165. Kelley says:

Thank you so much for posting this Chelsea. When I first saw the pic about a week or 2 ago I just thought it was too good to be true. Then I watched your video and I immediately tried it. It was just for practice and it was really messy, but I was able to do it! I can barely braid! So last night I tried it for real….and this morning I am loving my curly hair! It's a little Shirley Temple, but I'm sure as the day goes on, it will loosen. What type of product works best for you? I tried some hairspray, but I think something else might work better. Tahnks again, Chelsea!!

166. [...] Jag har gjort no-heat-curls i mitt hår, jag har självfall men alltså det blir oftast att jag bors…Hon har fler beskrivningar på snälla hårfix utan så mycket som förstör håret som värme och spray, se den andra fina nedan.    [...]

167. Becka says:

Thank you for taking the time to share your video with all us girls out there!

You seem like a beautiful girl inside and out!

168. Felicia says:

Hi, I'm a hair stylist and have never seen this. It looks really cool. I'm going to try it this weekend when I don't have to go to work the next day… Just in case lol. I just wanted to give you something to try. For more lift, part your hair on the opposite side of how you wear it. Then when you take the headband out switch your part, you'll have a lot more volume in the crown area!

169. Madeline says:

Thanks for the idea! It worked perfectly :)

170. ali says:

wonderful! glad I found you

171. Carman says:

I normally section my hair (after a shower with my hair still wet) into 8 pieces, twist and then curl them into a bun, and pin to my head. I go to sleep and wake up with beautiful curls. I'm going to give this one a shot next! This looks super easy and your curls turned out beautiful! I have A LOT of hair, but its thin. It has a wave, but some pieces curl… my hairs a mess. I cant wait to try this! I'm going to do it with wet hair after my shower tonight. Yay!

172. Shellee says:

BedHead has some great curling cream that I use in my daughter's hair, her hair usually falls flat and it makes her curls stay for almost all day. With her, we do a bunch of corkscrews on her head, like people who braid their hair in tiny braids, but then separate the corkscrews into smaller ones. You need to try this. I'm going to try this style on my daughter.

173. Renee says:

I am trying this as I type. I have medium length, thick hair that will NOT hold a curl. I put some mouse in my hair before putting it up so hopefully that will help! Can't wait for in the morning. Thanks for the tutorial!!

174. Meagan says:

Thank you so much for redoing the video for us! You are awesome

175. Tricia says:

i have a little longer than shoulder length hair, its naturally wavy, but i always have to do something with it in the mornings. I did this last night, and i woke up to perfect little ringlet curls! Awesome idea! I went to bed with my hair still damp, i dried it partiality, and used no product.

176. Kristen says:

Thank you so much for making this video (I would never have paid $30 to watch that other woman's)! I can't wait to try this tonight! I also have stick-straight hair, so I'm super excited to see how it turns out! :))

177. Candice says:

Have you tried it when it was wet and seeing if it held better?

178. Anne Wilson says:

That's soooo cool! I'm going to try this tonight! Can your hair be wet out of the shower and have it still work?

179. Zoe Mcdavitt says:

I tried this out overnight and my hair dont curl very well … Ive even had 4 people curling my hair at one time for a performace that was a half hour away … And it worked and my hair is beautiful :) i love it …. thank you so much :) :)

180. Emelie says:

Wow, trying this out right now! I don't own one of those headbands, so a tip for anyone else who doesn't own one; take a pair of discarded tights, cut off the leg, and then cut of the foot, and voilá, super cheap, recycled headband! (plus, you can tie it in a pretty bow)

181. Kimberly says:

I can't wait to try this tonight. My hair is a lot like yours…..straight and impossible. lol

182. Joyus says:

Trying it with short hair not sure how it'll turn out but I'll let you know! Love the video(: you have beautiful hair(:

183. Kimberly says:

do you think it works with short layered hair? I'm trying tonight so wish me luck! :)

184. Maria says:

Going to try this again tonight. The first time I tried, it didn't work at all. Here's to hoping it'll work now!

185. [...] last one is how to curl your hair overnight with no heat.  I found it over at The Paper Mama.  I have actually used this one a few times too and it really works [...]

186. [...] because there is no one awake to see me, I’ve popped my wet hair up into a headband (like this tutorial) so it will be all foofy and curly when I wake up in the morning. It is such an easy way to curl [...]

187. [...] thepapermama.com via Ashley on [...]

188. Miranda says:

I have been looking for a way to curl my hair without electricity for while we are in africa. This fits the bill! Instead of starting from both front sides, I just kept going around from one side to the other so in the end, I didn't have the one piece in the back thingy. Of course I have hair wrapped aross the front of my forhead though.

189. Sonal says:

I am so trying this tonight….tired of using my curling iron.

Thanks for sharing.

190. Manna says:

THIS IS AMAZING!!! I love to do my hair while I sleep :). I am totally doing this tonight! Also thanks for being awesome and making a free tutorial for us to view.

191. Jenna says:

I officially tried this! I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Thank you so much for putting this video up!

My only problem was my top of my hair was a little too messy, so i tammed it down a bit, but the rest…oh my! My curls were amazing!

192. Tyler says:

i have shoulder length hair, that is super straight and thin. will this work for me??

• It might! Maybe try twisting loose hair and using bobby pins for the shorter hair?

• Kristen says:

I have the same hair type as yours, mine is just a little past my shoulders. It worked beautifully for me! I used morrocan oil serum and a root volumizer when i got out of the shower and blow dried my roots upside-down for some volume, leaving my ends damp. Then I used a texturizer and then followed Chelsey's instructions and left it over night. In the am, I finger-raked thru the curls with a little more texturizer and sprayed with high hold spray. Because my hairs so thin AND fine,usually its super hard to curl and doesn't hold at all but this actually worked for me!! I hope it works for you too :)

193. Alexis says:

I tried this last night and when. I woke up this morning my hair was still wet. I noticed a few good bigger curls, but the majority of them were little stringy curls from my hair being wet like if I scrunched it :( Any suggestions?

• Maybe try with your hair mostly dry the night before?

• Theresa says:

I know what you mean. My technique is to make this a “low-heat” rather than a “no-heat” curl. After my hair has dried a bit, I hit it with a blow dryer before bed, just to warm up the curls and help them set more naturally. and obviously to get rid of some of the water. Then in the morning, I blow dry again, heat then cool, and take them down. The heat helps set up the curl and following up with cool seals it in. It also adds shine :)

194. raganc says:

Looks like a great idea!

195. Niccole says:

LOVE it! just quick tried it this morning and I only had it wrapped for 2hrs and it turned out amazing! I have super super thick straight hair. Thanks for sharing and saving us the $30!

196. victoria says:

i like it!
    what are those bruises on your arm? or tattoos?

197. this is so much better than my ghetto paper towel curlers. i have straight, heavy half-asian hair, so we'll see if this works! no heat curls usually work better on me than curling irons. thanks for this!

198. [...] video was simple enough, so I attempted it and here is my result. Trying something [...]

199. [...] again. It’s also never held a curl… Before I cut if off again, I thought I’d try THIS no heat curl method and see what [...]

200. Chelsea says:

Thank you! Can't wait to try this!

201. Aubre says:

I have super straight hair like you and i tried it last night and it worked so great. Thanks for not making us pay 30 dollars xD

202. Rachel says:

Thank you so much for this idea! I have super duper thick, straight as a board hair that completely refuses to hold a curl. I have been looking for a way to give it a break from heat and still be curly. I have tried everything, but the curls just fall out in minuted. This didn't though! I did this last night and it looks amazing! I have gotten tons of compliments. Last night after I put it up my mom said that if I did it neater I would look like a princess. Haha keep posting new tips, because I need 'em! Thanks!

203. Myrinda says:

so fun! my daughters think I look adorbs and want me to do it to them tonight…WAY better than sleeping on rags or foam curlers…for reference, my hair was super straight before kids, a bit wavy now…it's fine, but I have a lot of it and generally wear bobs. I also thought the way it looked wrapped up was super cute…would be even cuter with some pretty pins and a sparkly headband ;) I blogged mine too

204. Holly says:

I have super curly hair, but it's also incredibly unpredictable and unruly. Totally trying this to try and tame it a little!

Something that might help your curls last longer, if you'll pull them apart instead of running your hands through it the morning after, it'll help them loosen up a little without pulling them out. That's how it is for natural curl anyway–the less touching the better it looks. haha

• Brianna says:

Oh man I completely agree. The less touching of curls, the better looking they stay. I have naturally curly hair, and besides combing my hair right before and right after taking a shower, once my hair is dry I do as little brushing as possible. No need to introduce the frizz back into my head! :)

205. Suzanne says:

Absolutely LOVE this! I am going to be buying one of these headbands tomorrow and I am trying this tomorrow! Don't the curls stay in your hair longer if you spray your hair with hairspray before you go to bed?

206. Lisa says:

You rock for making this video. I've been wanting a no roller way of doing this for a while. Going to try it this week and looking forward to the result.

207. Hillary says:

I have a ton of hair, it's very thick and very wavy. It's a bob style so I'm hoping it works!! I use curling irons but I always burn myself and the smell of burning hair makes me sick. I had to use bigger chunks because of how much hair I have. It's already up as I type ;)

Thanks, I love this!

208. Hannah says:

is this easier than the sock bun because the sock bun was so difficult with my layered hair it was frusterating i just wanted cute curls! :D i'm going to try this there's nothing to lose thanks!!!

209. Kendra says:

I am excited to try this cause I have 3 boys and no time fort hair.

210. Bethany says:

Does this work for a little loger than shoulder length hair?

211. Sophie says:

Oh, how glad I am that I found this tonight! My hair is mega-thick, and straight for the most part, and I have been looking for an overnight, no heat technique forever, since I have no time to curl in the morning, but I can never find one…but I'm definitely trying this tonight. Thanks :)

212. Melissa says:

I love this! I am doing it tonight actually! awesome

213. AlexisElaine says:

Just to let you know when I do no heat curls I do it pretty much as soon as I get out of the shower. Letting my hair dry like that makes it last way longer. I have stick straight hair too, so I know how that works.

214. crys says:

i love your idea, my hair is naturally curly but i love to change up the size of my curls on occasion and this allows me to do different sizes all at once. i did take your idea one step further tho, i used two headbands and twisted the top half of my hair tightly around one and the bottom half looser around the other and then wrapped my hair in a scarf to hold it better at night.